Sunday, April 10, 2011

Google's Mobile Voice Recognition App for iPhone Listens

I just learned AT&T's offering a special $50 iPhone deal with a two year cell phone contract. I'm considering stepping up from my antiquated Motorola Razor and was looking into the advantages of having an iPhone.  Besides the hefty price and surcharges, what's kept me from the iPhone is I don't like getting or sending text messages.  I also think it's all hard on the eyes so when I heard Google has a Voice Recognition Mobile App for iPhone I became more interested then ever.

As a former legal word processor we often expressed our concerns this new voice technology would replace our jobs.  Now in 2011, the technology is becoming more advanced and far more useful then simply converting words to text. For instance, the voice activation is now tied into the Google search engine, much like to the computer Hal in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. All you have to do is speak into the phone and the search engine responds and even has intelligence because it knows where you're located at all times.  So if you want to see a local movie, all you have to do is ask for show times and locations and it will pop up in your area without further adieu.  This may be old news to some but I've never heard of this app until now and I'm sure there are plenty out there like me.

This video shows the many capabilities of the Google iPhone and Android App:

For iPhone


For Android

I'm hoping this is the next wave of new technology to develop because I think it's insane how much time people have to take to text on their iPhone.

This App also works with Android of course but under a different download title.

Now You're Talking - Google Has Developed Speech-Recognition That Actually Works - Slate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.