Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What Some People Think About Anonymous Bloggers Like Rosemary Port

I'm ecstatic that precedent has been set on the New York State Supreme Court level in its recent decision for Google to turn over an anonymous blogger's identity. After the pathetic anon, Rosemary Port, was outed by Google under court order, she followed up with a childish threat to take her case to the Supreme Court and to sue Google for $15 million.

A few SFGate.com comments:






From SF Gate columnist Zennie62:




"Cyberstalking is not free speech

Some are under the impression that the kind of blogging Port was doing is free speech. Nothing could be further from the truth. Classic free speech is standing on a corner and talking about something using your mouth to blast your voice into public airspace.

A blog is not really public to start with: everything from the web page to the internet service provider is privately owned, so they can control the content that gets out there - it's not the place for free expression. I think what's happened is that the relative ease of blogging has seduced some into thinking that they can write whatever they want, whenever they want, thus believing they have the right to free speech. Not so.

And more and more states and cities are installing their own versions of the law, and police departments are adding cyber crime units, so the infrastructure to stop this behavior is being created. It's about time.

I'm cyberstalked on a daily basis, as I have several blogs and video channels (10 channels with an average of 200 videos on each one, and over 600 on YouTube) and am on SFGate.com and the Examiner and CNN's iReport. I get racist emails, and comments that lie about me, insult me, or threaten me every day.

To say I'm tired of it is an understatement but I'm not going away. In 2008 I was twice the subject of a death message (and got such a comment on SFGate.com this year), leading me to make a video."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.