Sunday, November 13, 2011

I Miss Good Music! Boz Scaggs, Toto and All Kinds of Great Bands Are Truly Missed

I feel bad for the young people of this day and age who in my opinion have a lot of soulless commercial garbage to listen to. In comparison, here's some of the music I spent my money on beginning in 1976 when I was 16.  Well worth the investment, it was real music back then with real talented musicians, not synthesized loop trash!

Yup, I had the Boz Scaggs Grammy album Silk Degrees the late drummer Jeff Porcaro played on, one of the most influential drummers of all time.  Jeff eventually played with Toto as one of the most sought after studio drummers in the music industry.  They say Jeff Porcaro influenced music as a studio musician from the mid 1970's through the 1990s up to when he died from a reaction to pesticides in his garden. After he died, Michael Jackson gave tribute to Porcaro on his Thriller CD notes since he had played on four of Jackson's tracks including Beat It.  Jeff Porcaro was so huge I remember hearing about his death in 1992.

I haven't heard this Boz Scaggs 1976 song Georgia in over 30 years!  I miss this music.  For some reason I rarely listened to the meaning of lyrics, I only listened to music.


Toto was one of my favorite bands and Jeff Porcaro my favorite drummer of all time. They were real musicians and singers back then.  Several of these band members played on Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees album.  Jeff Porcaro played on several Michael Jackson Thriller album tracks.  Note the suspenders? I remember having the stylish 80's suspenders too.


Written by a Canadian Police officer in 1973, back when they were normal guys, not brutal thugs. This is one of the  most performed songs in all of Canadian music history by a Vancouver group named Skylark.  Notice they weren't singing about ho's back then.


This was one of Michael Jackson's underrated songs, a Stevie Wonder composition.

They could really sing back then and had musical talent like this band Ambrosia. They weren't that stereotypically attractive and some of these guys looked a lot like girls, but they were very talented nonetheless, not like many of today's over commercialized performers.  This band was one of my favorites cause they had great vocals and musicality.


This guy Christopher Cross was very lucky to rise to the top of the charts, he had a strange voice and his success was attributed to his music producer and Michael McDonald's background vocals. Still, I liked this song and remember sailing to Catalina and in Marina del Rey listening to this Christopher Cross music.

As someone raised on this kind of music, rap music is horror to my ears and I'm not the only one who feels this way. Many are aware of how special it was when these truly awesome musicians played from the heart, not just for money.  You can hear it in their music, it wasn't all about money.  Many of us who grew up in that 1970's and 80's era will never forget these awesome performers and they will live forever in our memories as timeless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.