Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Love Boat Not! Sea Sickness Common On Rough Seas

Last Saturday a cruise ship employee had arranged through an attorney in Orlando Florida for me to notarize her divorce papers at the ship's docking port in San Francisco. I arrived ready for a quick notarization only to learn she didn't have her Passport or ID available.  What it meant was that we'd be waiting an hour for her two friends as witnesses thereby enabling me to chat about the cruise. 

What I learned chatting with Gendelyn was that the ship came from England full of wealthy senior passengers and would be out to sea for two months.  The ship looked huge but according to the Gendelyn, it was smaller compared to most others.  I learned it's not uncommon for ships to have thousands of employees on board.  

One of the most important things I learned about their trip was that they hit rough seas causing many people to get sea sick, including the crew.

Here's an example of what a cruise ship has to deal with on rough seas:


Example 1

I was under the belief those larger ships aren't affected by rough seas, how naive could I be?  The nose goes up and down the huge waves just like any other ship and is greatlly affected by it.  Consequently, people get very sea sick.

Example 2

Example 3


After learning about the perils of cruise ships, I'd now think twice about going on a cruise ship. Gendelyn said a passenger died at sea the prior day and that the boat has a morgue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated.